So you’re thinking about coming here for college. Or maybe you’re already a student here and want to branch out and explore all that Lexington has to offer. Either way, we’ve got you covered. Here are 10 things you need to try…
Lexington is no ordinary college town. In fact, a recent study identified Lexington as one of a six University Cities: a new species of city with highly educated populations, lots of entrepreneurs, outsized arts and culture sectors, low unemployment, low cost-of-living and extremely low crime rates.
Sounds pretty good, right? Now that your parents are happy, here are all the things that will convince you that Lexington is the best place to spend your college years…and maybe even many more after that.
1. Experience the tradition of Thoroughbred racing at Keeneland. There really is no place like it anywhere else in the world.
2. Find a mural, take a pic, put it on Instagram. It shouldn’t be hard to find one…there are over 30 scattered around town.
3. Study up at a local coffee shop. There are plenty to choose from, so try a few, find your vibe and become a regular.
5. Grab some craft ice cream at Crank & Boom. It’ll change your life
6. Become a foodie. Lexington has some seriously good eats.
7. Go for a drive and surround yourself with more than 450 beautiful, fence-lined horse farms.
8. See a show. There are some great live music venues in Lexington, and some pretty good local musicians too (ahem, Tyler Childers…ahem, Sturgill Simpson).
9. Catch an indie flick at the historic, iconic Kentucky Theater right downtown.